Thursday, February 2, 2012

The Fault In Our Stars

Every week I receive the Time Magazine in my mailbox and I actually read it most of the time (that is, when I don't forget to open my mailbox for 3 weeks...) The latest one I read had a interesting review on a book written by John Greene (spoiler alert: it's about cancer). The review was so great that I felt like I couldn't wait to buy this book. Fortunately for me, one of my coworker and myself had to go to the bookstore to buy a gift for the nicest girl at the office who just invited us to her bday. It was the perfect opportunity for me to buy THE book, so once we were done choosing her gift, I asked one of the person working in the store where I could find 'The Fault in our Stars' by John Greene (thinking the person would direct me to a very 'smart' section) and of course the guy tells me 'Teen Section'! The guy with who I work obviously looked at me with a 'really?!' type of look that made me feel a little ashamed. I mean, don't get me wrong, I buy the lamest teenage books you could think of, all the time, but the ONE time I decide to buy something else based on what Time Magazine tells me and it turns out to be in the same section....That is highly uncool! (especially when they are witnesses thinking that I probably made up the fact that it was in Time Magazine....)

BUT, you know what? I really like the book. Most of us have lost or are about to lose someone to cancer. it sucks. I like this book because it makes you see cancer patients with a new eye. It is a cute/heart braking/ funny love story of teenagers who are constantly in between life and death. Up until now, I've cried twice but have laughed numerous times. 

John Green. The Fault in Our Stars. $10 on Amazon




1 comment:

  1. This is the link to a great speech on the subject: http://www.ted.com/talks/stacey_kramer_the_best_gift_i_ever_survived.html

    ReplyDelete